St Augustine’s Abbey School, Ramsgate, opened in 1865 with few pupils. As the school grew an occasional news sheet was produced and from 1886 this had become a full school magazine giving news of each term’s activities and events. Sports results were prominent as were the exploits of the school’s old boys.
By 1995 (231 magazine editions later) the school closed but The Society of Old Augustinians still flourishes. Over the last decade copies of the magazines have been collected from past students, staff and friends reconstructing a complete set. The website has also been improved and funds raised to present the school magazine archive for all to see.
Recent years have seen huge leaps in digital technologies and applications. With TownsWeb Archiving entrusted to undertake the scanning and digitisation of our magazine archive we are looking forward to full viewing capability by Autumn this year.