Careers with TownsWeb Archiving
TownsWeb Archiving is one of the UK’s top digital archiving companies specialising in the niche cultural heritage sector.
As a company we can boast such clients as Liverpool Football Club, Thomas Cook, Cadbury’s, Prudential, Marks & Spencer, English Heritage, Royal Doulton and also many Military and Local Authority clients. The company is also well positioned to offer an exciting and new service to the UK public and has plans to launch a new and completely innovative web portal that it feels will be the biggest thing since eBay and YouTube!
A relatively young company, we have grown our customer base significantly over recent years through investment in new technology and an offering of innovative heritage services that is unrivalled. We are currently looking for people to fill the following opening at our Central London based studio:
Read on below to find out more about the role available and for details of how to apply.
ABSOLUTELY NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Due to recent company growth, TownsWeb Archiving Ltd. (TWA), is looking to recruit a passionate Senior PHP Developer to join our dynamic Development team based at our HQ in Kettering, Northamptonshire.
TownsWeb Archiving is one of the UK’s top web, software & digital archiving companies specialising in the niche cultural heritage sector and we are growing rapidly. Having recently moved to new, larger premises in Kettering we are looking to grow our staff numbers by more than 25% this year and our ambitious growth plans will further see us opening new studios in Central London in 2019 too.
As a company we can boast such clients as Cadbury, Liverpool Football Club, Bank of England, BBC, Thomas Cook, Prudential, Marks & Spencer, English Heritage, Royal Doulton and also many Military and Local Authority clients. The company is also well positioned to offer an exciting, new service to the UK public and has plans to launch a brand new and completely innovative web service.
Reporting directly to the Software Development Team Lead, the successful candidate will work as part of a team responsible for managing, maintaining and developing new software and associated web sites. You will be able to leverage your experience to understand our platforms and contribute quickly.
We want someone well versed in modern, cloud, web application development, eager to bring knowledge of new technologies into our systems and push the boundaries.
We have several internal and external systems which run on multiple languages, frameworks and databases.
The primary function of this role is to improve our PastView Image Management & Publishing System, built from the Laravel framework on cloud infrastructure.
Tasks include (but are not limited to):
- Assisting the Team Lead in the planning and fulfilment of software & web projects.
- Coordinating team resource requirements with the Team Lead to help with the project planning and execution process.
- Software development, focused on our PastView cloud system.
- Communicating with other departments (such as sales, marketing or management), to plan, schedule and report on projects.
- Responding to new technical requirements from our production department.
Candidate Profile – Essential Requirements
The number of years of demonstrable experience will depend on the role being applied for (developer, senior developer, lead developer). However, we expect only experienced developers with a minimum of 3 years’ experience to apply and you will have been working with PHP and the majority of the systems/skill sets listed below and within a team and framework environment.
- PHP 7+ (mandatory)
- SQL databases (mandatory)
- PHP frameworks (mandatory) – ideally Laravel; alternatively Symfony, Slim or Zend
- Code versioning (mandatory) – e.g. Git or Subversion
- Templating engines – ideally Twig
- jQuery / AJAX
- js / React
- API consumption and provision
- Developing in both Windows & Linux environments
- Hosting platforms and facilities e.g. Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Rackspace Cloud
- Server provision & administration
- Comfortable using the command line for management and access
- Web apps – e.g. WordPress, OpenCart or Drupal
- Domain & DNS administration
- SEO basics
Additionally we expect you to be someone who:
- Has worked to and achieved given targets
- Has experience with:
- Managing multiple projects at any one time
- Working alongside other business departments (Sales, Marketing etc.)
- Experience of participating in team meetings and the delivery of project updates
- Strong troubleshooting skills and a willingness to see a problem through to resolution
- Commercial awareness
- Has high standards and expects both personal and team performance to be nothing short of the best
- An ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Regard honesty & integrity to be incredibly important in every walk of life and demonstrates an ability to build trust and maintain confidence
- Exhibits enthusiasm, passion and excitement over their work and has a “can do” attitude
- Will proactively bring new ideas to the company
- Is willing to travel to occasionally to meet with clients – a full UK driving license is required (preferably clean). There will be use of company pool car.
- Is looking to build a long and successful career with us
Desirable Requirements – Knowledge of:
- The Cultural Heritage Sector (Museums, Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Corporate Archives)
- Digitisation & photography equipment, concepts & services
- VR & machine learning technologies
It is important that the person in this role be fully integrated into our company culture, therefore it is based full time at our office in Kettering, Northamptonshire and working remotely is not possible.
Working hours are 8:30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- You will be entitled to 21 days annual leave (increases with service) plus bank holidays
- You will get your birthday off work (2019 trial)
- Pension scheme
- Fun working environment – including monthly competitions/games, Summer corporate day and Christmas Party
- Continued professional development (some Dev Team members visit the AWS Summit in London each year, all members have full access to codecourse.com)
Competitive salary depending upon experience.
How to Apply
If you are interested in any of the positions at TownsWeb Archiving Ltd then please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating:
- Why you feel you are suitable for this position based on the Candidate Profile above.
- Reasons for any ‘missing periods’ on your CV
- Your current notice period
- Your availability for interview
Submit all applications via email to [email protected].