Careers with TownsWeb Archiving
As a company we can boast such clients as Liverpool Football Club, Thomas Cook, Cadbury’s, Prudential, Marks & Spencer, English Heritage, Royal Doulton and also many Military and Local Authority clients. The company is also well positioned to offer an exciting and new service to the UK public and has plans to launch a new and completely innovative web portal that it feels will be the biggest thing since eBay and YouTube!
A relatively young company, we have grown our customer base significantly over recent years through investment in new technology and an offering of innovative heritage services that is unrivalled.
We are currently looking for people to fill the following openings at our picturesque studios in Kettering:
Read on below to find out more about the role available and for details of how to apply.
ABSOLUTELY NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Due to recent company growth, TownsWeb Archiving Ltd (TWA) is looking to recruit a Digitisation and Scanning Technician to join our busy studio team.
This position involves the scanning and photography (digitisation) of historical material using specialist scanners, cameras, software, hardware and other equipment. The material that is being digitised is generally old, fragile and unique. The material might include historic books, artwork, maps, photographs, 35mm slides and film etc.
TWA’s reputation of providing the highest quality service and trust ensures that our clients are varied and include some of the most recognised names and brands across corporate archives, galleries, libraries, archives and museums found anywhere in the world.
Experience is required, although full training will be provided and is a necessity of the position. TWA have developed a training and development programme which means that over the course of 12 months the successful applicant will be given the skills, knowledge and confidence to handle precious archive material carefully and to utilise the very specialist capture equipment and software TWA use.
Tasks include (but are not limited to):
- Scanning and photography (digitisation) of historical customer material at TWA’s studios in Kettering
- Indexing and first level rigorous quality checking of image files before being passed for second level quality checks
- Processing of images using in-house developed software and 3rd party products such as Photoshop
- Occasional digitisation of historical customer material at the customer’s premises (could be anywhere in the UK and may involve driving and occasional overnight stays
- Occasional visit to customer sites to:
- Help with the technical aspects of assessing a new project
- Collect and return archive material (some manual lifting is involved)
- Updating internal/client systems and databases
- Capture and transfer of data using Microsoft Office Products (Excel, Word etc.)
- Keeping customers informed of project progress (by phone/email)
- Helping to schedule work
- Working closely with our Software Development team when the digitised content is to be published on the client’s website via TWA’s Digital Archive Management System – PastView.
Must have attributes:
- UK driving license and personal car
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to maintain client and company confidentiality
- Have a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Well-spoken with good written and verbal communication skills
- Strong I.T. skills with experience of Microsoft Office and Graphics Packages (e.g. Adobe Photoshop etc.)
- An understanding of cameras and lenses, their use and capabilities
- A good academic record
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player but equally happy to work alone
- Honest and trustworthy
- Confident and self-motivated with good organisational skills
- Good time-keeping and time management skills
- Energetic, outgoing, reliable with a ‘can do’ attitude
- A willingness to do overtime as and when required (evenings, weekends)
Preferable (but not essential) attributes:
- Good all-round IT. knowledge including experience of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom (or similar)
- A knowledge and understanding of image formats (TIFF, Jpeg, PDF, OCR etc.)
- An understanding and practical experience of using various Scanners and Digital Cameras (exposure, shutter speeds etc.)
Working hours are 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday although a willingness to work overtime and shift-patterns is also required. You will be entitled to 21 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
Salary between £13,000 to £16,700 depending upon experience.
This is an exciting opportunity where our new member of staff will have the opportunity to develop themselves and their career and work to a Management Team who has ambitious plans to continue to grow the company into something very special!
How to Apply
If you are interested in any of the positions at TownsWeb Archiving Ltd then please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating:
- Why you feel you are suitable for this position based on the Candidate Profile above.
- Reasons for any ‘missing periods’ on your CV
- Your current notice period
- Your availability for interview
For any questions regarding the position please contact Paul Sugden, Managing Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 01536 713834.
Submit all applications via email to email@example.com.