Careers with TownsWeb Archiving
TownsWeb Archiving is one of the UK’s top digital archiving companies specialising in the niche cultural heritage sector.
As a company we can boast such clients as Liverpool Football Club, Thomas Cook, Cadbury’s, Prudential, Marks & Spencer, English Heritage, Royal Doulton and also many Military and Local Authority clients. The company is also well positioned to offer an exciting and new service to the UK public and has plans to launch a new and completely innovative web portal that it feels will be the biggest thing since eBay and YouTube!
A relatively young company, we have grown our customer base significantly over recent years through investment in new technology and an offering of innovative heritage services that is unrivalled. We are currently looking for people to fill the following openings:
Read on below to find out more about the role available and for details of how to apply.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES:
We work with a carefully selected set of recruitment agencies, and we are not looking to add to this.
Want to use your experience of Laravel in a business environment to take your career to the next stage?
Want to investigate and incorporate machine learning and augmented reality in real-world cloud and web-applications?
Want to develop internal and external systems running on the latest versions of multiple frameworks and cloud infrastructures?
TownsWeb Archiving Limited (TWA) are looking for an experienced Laravel Developer to join their growing software development team. Based at the head office close to major travel networks in Kettering, Northamptonshire, the right candidate will have a passion for their work and enjoy working with varied clients across the heritage and business sector
- Software development, focused on our cloud-based media management & delivery platform PastView
- Responding to new technical requirements from our imaging studio.
- Assisting the Team Lead in the planning and fulfilment of software & web projects.
- Bringing new ideas and technologies to the team.
- Communicating with other departments (such as sales, marketing or management), to plan, schedule and report on projects.
- Coordinating team resource requirements with the Team Lead to help with the project planning and execution process.
Essential Skills / Experience:
- Minimum of 4 year’s relevant experience (MANDATORY)
- PHP 7+ (MANDATORY)
- SQL databases (MANDATORY)
- PHP frameworks – ideally Laravel, alternatively Symfony, Slim or Zend although other modern framework experience will be considered (MANDATORY)
- Code versioning – e.g. Git (MANDATORY)
- Modern IDE usage (MANDATORY)
- Templating engines – ideally Twig
- Vue or other front-end frameworks
- jQuery / AJAX
- API consumption and provision
- Developing in both Windows & Linux environments
- Cloud infrastructure, e.g. Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Cloud
- Linux Server provision & administration
- Comfortable using the command line for management and access
- Web apps – e.g. WordPress, OpenCart or Drupal
- Hosting platforms, e.g. WHM, CPanel etc.
- Domain & DNS administration
- SEO basics
- Third party / partner software integration
Desirable Skills / Experience:
- The Cultural Heritage Sector (Museums, Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Corporate Archives)
- Digitisation & photography equipment, technology & software
- Augmented Reality (AR) & machine learning technologies
Candidate profile – are you someone who
- Exhibits enthusiasm, passion and excitement for their work
- Has a “can-do” attitude
- Has worked to and achieved given targets
- Learns quickly and is excited by the future of machine learning and its applications
- Has experience with:
- Managing multiple projects at any one time
- Working alongside other business departments (Sales, Marketing etc.)
- Experience of participating in team meetings and the delivery of project updates
- Strong troubleshooting skills and a willingness to see a problem through to resolution
- Commercial awareness
- Has an ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Regards honesty & integrity to be incredibly important in every walk of life
- Demonstrates an ability to build trust and maintain confidence
- Will proactively bring new ideas to the company
- Is willing to occasionally travel for client meetings (own transport a benefit)
- Has high standards and expects both personal and team performance to be nothing short of the best
Whilst it is important that the person in this role be fully integrated into our company culture, flexible working is open to negotiation for the right candidate.
- 21 days annual leave (increasing with service) plus bank holidays
- Additional day-off for your birthday (2019 trial)
- Pension scheme
- Fun working environment – including monthly competitions/games, Summer corporate day and Christmas Party
- Continued professional development (some Dev Team members visit the AWS Summit in London each year, all members have full access to codecourse.com)
- Working with blue-chip clients such as Cadbury, Liverpool Football Club, Bank of England, BBC, Thomas Cook, Prudential, Marks & Spencer, English Heritage, Royal Doulton as well as many Military and Local Authority clients
Full time role – Competitive salary based on experience
Submit all applications via email to [email protected].
Due to recent company growth, TownsWeb Archiving Ltd (TWA) is looking to recruit a Digitisation and Scanning Technician for our clients on-site studios based in Stratford-Upon-Avon. This is initially an 11 month contract, this may extend to 18 months.
This position involves the scanning and photography (digitisation) of historical material using specialist cameras, software, hardware and other equipment. The material that is being digitised is generally old, fragile and unique. The material includes books, letters, press cuttings, photographs, music scores, loose sheets and posters.
TWA’s reputation of providing the highest quality service and trust ensures that our clients are varied and include some of the most recognised names and brands across corporate archives, galleries, libraries, archives and museums found anywhere in the world.
Although an interest and experience in I.T. and photography is preferable, experience is not required and full training will be provided. TWA have developed a training and development programme which means that over a period of time the successful applicant will be given the skills, knowledge and confidence to handle precious archive material carefully and to utilise the very specialist capture equipment and software TWA use.
NOTE: Use of a free parking space is included at the on-site studio and public transport is only a 5 minute walk away.
NOTE: Initial training for this position will take place at our HQ in Kettering (Northamptonshire) and the duration is dependant on experience. You will then work full-time from our clients on-site studios based in Stratford-Upon-Avon, with occasional requirements for further visits & training to our Kettering HQ.
Tasks include (but are not limited to):
- Scanning and photography (digitisation) of historical customer material at our clients on-site studios based in Stratford-Upon-Avon.
- Indexing and first level rigorous quality checking of image files before being passed for second level quality checks.
- Processing of images using in-house developed software and 3rd party products such as Photoshop and Capture One.
- Updating internal/client systems and databases.
- Capture and transfer of data using Microsoft Office Products (Excel, Word etc).
- Keeping colleagues and customers informed of project progress (by phone/email).
- Occasional digitisation of historical customer material at TWA’s Kettering HQ or our customer’s premises (could be anywhere in the UK and may involve driving and occasional overnight stays).
Must have attributes:
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to maintain client and company confidentiality
- Have a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Well-spoken with good written and verbal communication skills
- Strong I.T. skills with experience of Microsoft Office and Graphics Packages (e.g. Adobe Photoshop etc.)
- A good academic record
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player but equally happy to work alone
- Honest and trustworthy
- Confident and self-motivated with good organisational skills
- Good time-keeping and time management skills
- A proven ability to reach targets
- Energetic, outgoing, reliable with a ‘can do’ attitude
- A willingness to work overtime as and when required (evenings, weekends)
Preferable (but not essential) attributes:
- An understanding of photography and practical experience of using various Scanners and Digital Cameras (exposure, shutter speeds etc.)
- UK driving license and own vehicle
- Good all-round IT. knowledge including experience of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom (or similar)
- A knowledge and understanding of image formats (TIFF, Jpeg, PDF, OCR etc.)
Working hours are 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday although a willingness to work overtime and shift-patterns is also required. You will be entitled to 21 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
Salary starting circa £20,000 per annum.
This is an exciting opportunity where our new member of staff will have the opportunity to develop themselves and their career and work to a Management Team who has ambitious plans to continue to grow the company into something very special!
How to Apply
If you are interested in any of the positions at TownsWeb Archiving Ltd then please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating:
- Why you feel you are suitable for this position based on the Candidate Profile above.
- Reasons for any ‘missing periods’ on your CV
- Your current notice period
- Your availability for interview