Digitisation Technician (Kettering, Northamptonshire)
Would you like to join a dynamic and fast-paced team working alongside specialist digitisation technicians?
|Salary||£21,673.60 per annum (£10.42 per hour)|
|Bonus||Profit sharing scheme|
|Hours||40 hours per week|
|Contract||Permanent contract, full time|
|Start Date||As soon as possible|
|Annual Leave||21 days plus bank holidays (increasing for years service)|
Would you like to join a dynamic and fast-paced team working alongside specialist digitisation technicians? If so, then you could be the person we are looking for.
From photographing, scanning and safeguarding historical materials, our vision is to ensure that archival collections thrive in a digital world.
Amongst a truly valued clientbase, you will find the likes of Diageo, Bank of England, Unilever, Marks & Spencer, Sandhurst Military Academy, and National Museums of Scotland, who all continue to trust TownsWeb Archiving for their digitisation requirements.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
This position involves scanning and photography (digitisation) of historical material using specialist scanners, cameras, software, hardware and other equipment. The material that is being digitised is generally old, fragile and unique and includes materials such as historic books, artwork, maps, photographs, 35mm slides and film.
Various graphics packages and software solutions are utilised to create digitisation outputs that our clients require. Client files are generally used for publishing content online to aid research, generate revenue (i.e. via genealogy) or for long term preservation purposes.
An interest and experience in I.T. and photography is essential. TownsWeb Archiving (TWA) has also developed a training and development programme which means that over a period of time the successful applicant will be given the additional skills, knowledge and confidence to handle precious archive material carefully, utilising TWA’s specialist capture equipment and software.
- Digitisation (scanning and photography) of historical customer material at TWA’s studios in Kettering, Northamptonshire
- Indexing and first-level rigorous quality checking of image files before being passed for second level quality checks
- Processing of images using in-house developed software and 3rd party products, such as CaptureOne and Photoshop
- Working to agreed throughputs and timeframes with the ability to work to deadlines
- Opportunity to work occasionally on materials at customer locations (across the UK)
- Occasional visits to customer sites to collect and return archive material (some manual lifting is involved)
- Updating internal/client systems and databases for project tracking and progress
- Providing project updates through the Google suite (Docs, Sheets etc.)
- Keeping internal staff and customers informed of project progress (by phone/email/Slack).
WHAT WE WILL OFFER IN RETURN
An opportunity to work with global brands, developing your skills as a digitisation professional, from a number of highly experienced digitisation technicians. Our premises comprise a modern and spacious converted barn where you will get to be a part of a passionate and fun team.
This role will also offer:
- A competitive salary plus career development – Providing the necessary skills, knowledge and confidence to handle precious archive material carefully.
- An innovative, fast-paced, fun team environment – Enjoy your work and be rewarded for it.
- A social company environment and a range of group activities – To include volunteering opportunities and social events.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE
- A demonstrated ability to work with MS Office, Google suite and graphic design packages such as Adobe Photoshop
- A knowledge and understanding of image formats (TIF, JPG, PDF, OCR etc.) and audio/video formats (WAV, MP3, MOV, MP4 etc.)
- An understanding and practical experience of using various digital cameras and scanners including an understanding of photography basics such as exposure, shutter speeds etc.
- Cultural heritage awareness and sensitivity as well as excited by heritage
- Ability to maintain client and company confidentiality
- Have a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Well-spoken with good written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player, but equally happy to work alone
- Confident and self-motivated with good organisational skills
- Good time-keeping and time management skills
- Energetic, outgoing, reliable with a ‘can do’ attitude
- A willingness to carry out overtime as and when required
- Photography Education (A level, Diploma, Degree etc.) or equivalent experience
- UK driving licence and own vehicle
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in working with TownsWeb Archiving Ltd then please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating:
- Why you feel you are suitable for this position, based on the Candidate Profile (above).
- Your current notice period
- Your availability for an initial interview.
Please submit your CV using the form below. For any questions, email [email protected], referencing Digitisation Technician within the subject line.