Discover all you need to know about the TWA Digitisation Grant. Find out what’s on offer and whether your organisation qualifies, as well as the criteria you need to satisfy for a successful funding application.
Our Digitisation Grant is currently closed for applications
Sign-up to our newsletter to find out when our grant next opens for applications.
- 4 x funding grants of £3,000
- Our exciting new match funding details will be revealed soon!
- Diaries & Minute Books
- Journals & Magazine
- Photograph Albums & Scrapbooks
- Published Books & Thesis
- Registers & Personal Records
- Index Cards
- Report & Letters (Loose Items)
- Rolls & Parchment
- 35mm Slides & Film Strips
- Glass Plates & Lantern Slides
- Negatives & Transparencies
- Transcription of metadata
- OCR (optical character recognition) data capture
- Projects that do not involve at least some element of image capture
- On-location digitisation at client’s premises
- Audio-visual digitisation projects
- 3D digitisation projects
- Cataloguing of entire collections
- Pure digitisation training
- Purchase of digitisation equipment
- Salaries for project staff
- Archive website design/build
- Setup of Digital Collections Management System
- Heritage need: Heritage value, uniqueness and importance of the collection.
- Social/community impact: How local people and communities will benefit from the collection.
- Research value: Whether academic, social historians, genealogists, or other researchers.
- Improved accessibility: Such as platforms, preservation and website access.
- Public, private & charity archives
- Business/corporate archives
- Public & private libraries
- Institutions and organisations that have applied in previous years (even if the application is for the same collection/ project).
- Private individuals with personal collections
- Digitisation/scanning bureaus
Any UK-based digitisation project, provided in the form of TownsWeb Archiving’s digitisation and software services of equivalent value.
Funding covers the digitisation of:
Bound Volume Collections
Part of the grant may be used to fund:
Funding does not cover
Our judging panel includes John Chambers (ARA), Claire Adler (heritage fund appointed mentor & independent heritage consultant), and Paul Sugden (TWA), who will assess each application across four primary areas:
Further guidance can be found within the Grant Application Form.
Applications for the TWA Digitisation Grant will be assessed and the winning applicants chosen by our panel of three judges.
Chief Executive of the Archives & Records AssociationView Profile
Heritage Fund Appointed Mentor & Independent Heritage ConsultantView Profile
MD & Senior Digitisation Consultant at TownsWeb ArchivingView Profile
Who can apply?
Any UK based:
Note: We currently do not accept applications from:
Closing date and how to apply
All applications must be submitted by 11:59pm on 29th July 2022. Winners will be announced live at the ARA Annual Conference and via live stream on 1st September 2022.
To receive access to the grant application form, click here and complete the short form. The grant application form will then be sent to you via the email address provided.
Details of the closing date and how to apply are yet to be confirmed.
Please email any TWA Digitisation Grant queries to [email protected]
Terms & Conditions
A full list of Terms & Conditions for the TWA Digitisation Grant can be viewed here.
Latest Funding News
Our Digitisation Grant is taking a short hiatus for 2021!September 7th, 2021 by Jess Sturman-Coombs
After making a difference for more than 80 organisations over its five year period, and injecting well over £77,000 in grants and match funding, the TWA Digitisation Grant is taking a break for 2021.Continue Reading »
TWA 2020 Digitisation Grant: Winners' AnnouncementDecember 9th, 2020 by Jess Sturman-Coombs
After an incredible turnout to our Winners’ Announcement webinar, we are very pleased to be in a position to spread the good news far and wide. Read on!Continue Reading »
TWA 2020 Digitisation Grant: One week to submit your grant applicationNovember 13th, 2020 by Jess Sturman-Coombs
One week to go! Only 7 days until our 2020 digitisation grant deadline! Find key dates and details, submit and sign up to watch the winners announcement LIVE!Continue Reading »