Discover all you need to know about the TWA Digitisation Grant. Find out what’s on offer and whether your organisation qualifies, as well as the criteria you need to satisfy for a successful funding application.
Our Digitisation Grant is currently closed for applications
Sign-up to our newsletter to find out when our grant next opens for applications.
Details of the funding available are yet to be confirmed.
Any UK-based digitisation project, provided in the form of TownsWeb Archiving’s digitisation and software services of equivalent value.
Funding covers the digitisation of:
- Bound books
- 35mm slides
- Index cards
- And other two dimensional materials
Part of the grant may be used to fund:
- Transcription of metadata
- OCR (optical character recognition) data capture
Funding does not cover
- Projects that do not involve at least some element of image capture
- On-location digitisation at client’s premises
- Audio-visual digitisation projects
- 3D digitisation projects
- Cataloguing of entire collections
- Pure digitisation training
- Purchase of digitisation equipment
- Salaries for project staff
- Archive website design/build
- Setup of Digital Collections Management System
Our judging panel includes John Chambers (ARA), Jo Blyghton (Archive Consultant), and Paul Sugden (TWA), who will assess each application across four primary areas:
- Heritage need: Heritage value, uniqueness and importance of the collection.
- Social/community impact: How local people and communities will benefit from the collection.
- Research value: Whether academic, social historians, genealogists, or other researchers.
- Improved accessibility: Such as platforms, preservation and website access.
Further guidance can be found in the Grant Application Form.
Applications for the TWA Digitisation Grant will be assessed and the winning applicants chosen by our panel of three judges.
Chief Executive of the Archives & Records AssociationView Profile
MD & Senior Digitisation Consultant at TownsWeb ArchivingView Profile
Who can apply?
Any UK based:
- Public, private & charity archives
- Business/corporate archives
- Public & private libraries
- Institutions and organisations that have applied in previous years (even if the application is for the same collection/ project).
Note: We currently do not accept applications from:
- Private individuals with personal collections
- Digitisation/scanning bureaus
Closing date and how to apply
Details of the closing date and how to apply are yet to be confirmed.
Please email any TWA Digitisation Grant queries to [email protected]
Latest Funding News
Our Digitisation Grant is taking a short hiatus for 2021!September 7th, 2021 by Jess Sturman-Coombs
After making a difference for more than 80 organisations over its five year period, and injecting well over £77,000 in grants and match funding, the TWA Digitisation Grant is taking a break for 2021.Continue Reading »
TWA 2020 Digitisation Grant: Winners' AnnouncementDecember 9th, 2020 by Jess Sturman-Coombs
After an incredible turnout to our Winners’ Announcement webinar, we are very pleased to be in a position to spread the good news far and wide. Read on!Continue Reading »
TWA 2020 Digitisation Grant: One week to submit your grant applicationNovember 13th, 2020 by Jess Sturman-Coombs
One week to go! Only 7 days until our 2020 digitisation grant deadline! Find key dates and details, submit and sign up to watch the winners announcement LIVE!Continue Reading »